Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Status Check- No Psych Ward Yet



Just a quick status check from over here at our little home school...

My biggest fear when knocking around the idea of homeschooling was that in short order I would be remanded to some underfunded state psychiatric facility.  The truth is,  24x7 Marisa has never been easy. This is the child who hung my car keys in the Christmas tree when she was four because they were shiny- forcing me to search for three hours. In the third grade she perfected the ability to play 'Ode to Joy' on her recorder...with her left nostril. Then last summer she informed me that on my birthday in 2010 the widest tongue AND the longest nose was recorded by the nice folks at Guinness World Book.  She asked if I was a contender.... 


Well, here's an update. So far, so good.  Sure she gives me push back on certain tasks and doesn't want  to wake up in the morning, but, oh yeah... she's 10. Overall though, she pretty good about getting the job done.  She has realized that if she stays on task, we get finished earlier and she does like that.

We switch things out and kind of ebb and flow-one day we may be math heavy, the other may be consumed with ELA. I've gotten over thinking we need to do every subject every day.  Today she has a cold and her attention isn't all that great so we chose a smorgasboard of short worksheets and a Lewis and Clark documentary.  We still get work done and she doesn't get frustrated.  

Other than that?  Well, I keep an open reservation at the funny farm.  There are days that eating with rubber forks and making necklaces out of painted pasta shapes sounds like a nice change of pace, but we aren't there quite yet.

Have a wonderful day!  Holly


 




No comments:

Post a Comment